recipe: red rice fry up
Since adapting to a plant-based diet I have been experimenting with so many delicious new recipe ideas in my kitchen. I like to keep my cooking simple, easy and full of whole and non-processed ingredients and flavours.
This recipe was born out of leftovers from my fridge and has turned into my go-to staple for a simple vegan lunch, either on its own, or as a side dish to roasted bell peppers or tomatoes. I often put the leftovers in my lunchbox for the studio the next day. It's a good option for feeding my non-vegan friends, as it's filling and flavoursome.
The best thing is that it's so adaptable; you can use any kind of rice (I prefer red or brown) and swap in any greens (such as kale, spinach or chard) to come up with your own combination. I'm not a massive fan of the flavour of tofu, so sometimes use basil infused tofu or leave it out.
Red Rice - 1 cup, rinsed
Broccoli - 1 whole, cut into bitesize florets.
Rainbow Chard- 3 decent handfuls, roughly chopped.
Frozen Peas - 1.5 cups
Shitake Mushrooms (any other kind is fine too) - 4 decent handfuls.
1 onion, chopped
Flaked Almonds - Half a cup
Tofu - half a standard bar, chopped into small squares
Garlic - 3-4 cloves, crushed whole in a garlic crusher.
Coriander - 1 big bunch, chopped
For the dressing
Tamari Soy Sauce
Salt & pepper
1. Spoon 1tsp of Turmeric into a pan filled with water and bring to the boil. Pour the rice into the boiling turmeric water, reducing the heat to a gentle simmer for approximately 25 mins (but do check the cooking instructions on the packet). Regularly check the water level hasn't depleted, and top up if necessary.
2. Heat 1tbsp of Olive Oil in a wok or frying pan and throw in the onion with 2 tsp of cumin and 1 tsp of turmeric. Leave to cook for a few minutes until slightly softened, stirring regularly.
3. Pour 1 inch of water into a large pan containing a steamer basket and bring to the boil ( if you don't have a steamer basket, you can steam with a few cms of water in the base of the pan, or just boil). Place the cut up broccoli in the basket and steam for approx 8 mins until tender, but not soft. Add your chopped greens on top halfway through, they need half the time.
4. Add the crushed garlic, shitake mushrooms, tofu and frozen peas to the wok and cook over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Make your dressing in a mug; mix together 2 tbsp Sesame Oil, 2 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce, juice of 1 lime and salt + pepper.
6. Drain the rice and add it straight to the wok, along with the broccoli, greens, flaked almonds and a big handful of chopped coriander.
7. Pour over the dressing and mix it all up thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add the mixture to a large serving bowl and serve with a slice of lime and a sprinkling of coriander.